"if it moves, kick it. If it doesn't move, kick it until it does"

Man UTD sign Antonio Valencia

Sir Alex Ferguson has made Antonio Valencia his first signing since the transfer of Cristiano Ronaldo. Valencia, the 23 year old Ecuadorian has signed a four year contract for an undisclosed fee. It is thought that Valencia has cost Man UTD as much as £16m. "Antonio is a player we have admired for some time now, having spent the last two years in the Premier League with Wigan," said Ferguson. "I am sure his pace and ability will make a significant contribution to the team," added Ferguson.

United have been in contact with Wigan over a deal for Valencia over the last "two to three months", according to Latics chairman Dave Whelan.

"I have enjoyed my time at Wigan, but I am thrilled to have the chance to challenge for the biggest honours in club football here," said Valencia, who scored three goals for Wigan last season. "Playing in front of 76,000 fans alongside players like Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Ryan Giggs will be an amazing experience. I can't wait to get started."

Valencia has played 34 times for Ecuador, scoring four goals.

"I hope the fans at Wigan can understand that I am an ambitious guy and a
chance like this might never come again for me," said Valencia, who will be 24 next month.
"I am happy that the club has benefited from the move financially because I owe them such a lot. I have had a great time here."

The transfer of Valencia from Wigan to the Old Trafford outfit is a record for Wigan, but his departure leaves new Latics manager Roberto Martinzez with the task of finding a suitable replacement.

0 comments:

Post a Comment